Caring for Nature: The River of life(The Story of the Narmada Bachao Andolan)
For Kanti the day began with startling news of the building of the Sardar Sarovar Dam over the River Narmada. Kanti was worried. Will they lose their home and livelihood as the waters of the dam bury their village? Where will they go? Was he seeing the sunrise by the banks of his much-loved river for the last time? There were too many questions with no easy answers. This gloomy situation for Kanti was a ray of hope for Deepal. She was excited, the construction of the dam would rid her life of water woes. Strange are the ways of the world with everything having a fl ipside. The River of Life is an insight into the lives of the tribal people of Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat. It chronicles people?s efforts to save their way of life and their rights to land and river as they were soon going to be displaced by the giant Sardar Sarovar Dam.
Caring for Nature series focuses on some important unforgettable stories of people?s movements, such as Chipko Andolan and Silent Valley Movement, among others to save their forests, rivers, or land from greedy interests.
Other titles in the series:
- Bapu and the Missing Blue Pencil (ISBN: 9788179934487)
- Rao Jodha and the Curse of the Hermit (ISBN: 9788179934647)
- Tagore and the Song of the Crazy Wind (ISBN: 9788179934654)
- King Ashoka and the Garden of Herbs (ISBN: 9788179934470)
- The Forests belong to us (ISBN: 9788179933626)
About the Author
Subhadra Sen Gupta has written over forty books for children including mysteries, historical fiction, ghost stories, and comic books. The Sahitya Akademi presented her the Bal Sahitya Puraskar in 2014. She loves to travel, flirt with cats, chat with auto rickshaw drivers, and sit and watch people. To start a conversation with her on any topic under the sun, you can email her at email@example.com.
Tapas Guha is a post graduate in commerce and a self-taught artist based in New Delhi. He is one of the most prolific and sought-after illustrator for children’s books and comic strips. His work showcases in many popular books, magazines, and newspapers.
You may also like...
- Enviro-Challenge, Second Edition: a compilation of the best of Green Olympiad (for Class 6 to 10) Regular Price 150.00 Special Price 135.00
- How Wondrous is that: Nature's Bizarre Regular Price 185.00 Special Price 167.00
- Healthy Happy Me: Easy-Peasy guide to awesome health Regular Price 150.00 Special Price 135.00
- Let's Get Active : Learning about Flowers (An illustrated activity book that teaches young learners all about Flowers) Regular Price 125.00 Special Price 112.00