Caring for Nature: The Forests belong to us (The Story of the Chipko Andolan)
Manjari sat under a tree, lost in her thoughtful world, enjoying the breeze past noon. But something unusual caught her attention – a sinister-looking bus was silently lumbering up the slope on the path that steered to the forest. Lately, other strange and worrying things had been happening in her village including auctioning of her favourite oak tree by the Forest Department. Alarmed, Manjari ran towards the village and to alert. What happened next was most unusual. Was Manjari able to save the oak tree? Who were the passengers in the bus? Why was the forest department hell bent on cutting the trees that kept the village safe from floods? The Forests Belong to Us tells you how women and children by most peaceful means, by hugging the trees, saved the guardians of nature. This small incident planted the seeds of the first people’s movement to save trees, called the Chipko Andolan.
Caring for Nature series focuses on some important unforgettable stories of people’s movements, such as Narmada Bachao Andolan and Silent Valley Movement, among others to save their forests, rivers, or land from greedy interests.
Other titles in the series:
- Bapu and the Missing Blue Pencil (ISBN: 9788179934487)
- Rao Jodha and the Curse of the Hermit (ISBN: 9788179934647)
- Tagore and the Song of the Crazy Wind (ISBN: 9788179934654)
- King Ashoka and the Garden of Herbs (ISBN: 9788179934470)
About the Author
Subhadra Sen Gupta has written over forty books for children including mysteries, historical fiction, ghost stories, and comic books. The Sahitya Akademi presented her the Bal Sahitya Puraskar in 2014. She loves to travel, flirt with cats, chat with auto rickshaw drivers, and sit and watch people. To start a conversation with her on any topic under the sun, you can email her at email@example.com.
Tapas Guha is a post graduate in commerce and a self-taught artist based in New Delhi. He is one of the most prolific and sought-after illustrator for children’s books and comic strips. His work showcases in many popular books, magazines, and newspapers.
You may also like...
- Enviro-Challenge, Second Edition: a compilation of the best of Green Olympiad (for Class 6 to 10) Regular Price 150.00 Special Price 135.00
- Caring for Nature: The troubled waters (Rescuing the Ganga) Regular Price 150.00 Special Price 135.00
- Caring for Nature: Listen to Nature's Song (The Save Silent Valley Campaign) Regular Price 150.00 Special Price 135.00
- How Wondrous is that: Nature's Bizarre Regular Price 185.00 Special Price 167.00