The Splendour of Lodi Road: My brush with heritage
‘The Splendour of Lodi Road is a wonderful “must” for Dilliwallahs as well as for the thousands of tourists and other people who visit this city. Ravi Batra has captured the historical essence of the monuments on this road in utterly delightful paintings. There is a gentle transparency, a lyrical fluidity, a dreamlike impression when reality is rendered in watercolours.’
— Malvika Singh
In the words of Ravi Batra ‘There is perhaps no other road in Delhi, or even the whole world, which connects, over a distance of just four kilometres, a unique heritage – gateways, mosques, tombs, gardens and even a step-well and a bridge. They were built during successive empires and over several centuries, with different architectural styles and building materials. They include Humayun’s Tomb – a UNESCO World Heritage site’. The text provides historical, architectural and anecdotal information on each monument.
Table of Contents
• A concise history of Delhi and the northern region Tomars – Chauhans – Khaljis – Tughlaqs – Sayyids – Lodis – Mughals – the British – Independent India
• A primer on Architecture
• Safdarjung’s Tomb: The life of Safdarjung – Gateway – Safdarjung’s tomb – What if?
• Lodi Garden: Lady Willingdon’s love – Heritage walk – Tomb of Muhammad Shah – Bada Gumbad – Mosque – Sheesh Gumbad – Athpula Bridge – ‘Mini’ Gateway and Mosque
• SUBZ Burj
• Sunder Nursery: Mr Lancaster’s labour – Sunderwala Burj
• The Humayun Tomb Complex: The life of Emperor Humayun – A general knowledge quiz – Arab Sarai – Gateway to Arab Sarai – Afsarwala Tomb and Mosque – West Gate – Humayun’s Tomb – Barber’s Tomb – Isa Khan’s Tomb – Mosque
• Nizamuddin Basti: The life of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya – History of the Basti – Atgah Khan’s tomb – The Baoli – Chausath Khamba – Ghalib’s tomb – Jamaat Khana Mosque – Tomb of Muhammad Shah – Tomb of Jahanara Begum – Dargah of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya
• The ‘monumental’ artists in India: William Hodges – Thomas and William Daniell – Sita Ram – Mazhar Ali Khan – Edward Lear – Vasily Vereshchagin – Cyrus Jhabvala – David Gentleman
• Heritage Walks
Click here for brochure and Click here for Poster, in PDF.
You may also like...
- Nutraceuticals in Human Health: let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food Regular Price 299.00 Special Price 270.00
- Green Homes and Workplaces Regular Price 299.00 Special Price 270.00
- GRIHA Version 2019: The Sustainable Habitat Handbook (6 Volume Set) Regular Price 11100.00 Special Price 9990.00
- Environmental Studies (Second Edition) Regular Price 325.00 Special Price 293.00