Vernacular Traditions: contemporary architecture
The book is an attempt to bridge the gap between the past and the future – the vernacular and the contemporary. It questions the relevance of the vernacular in contemporary times and illustrates the inherent sustainability in vernacular built form. Emphasizing on the fact that apart from the preservation of vernacular architecture it is more important to carry forward the valuable lessons of the past into the future, the book presents myriad examples of contemporary architectural works and showcases how vernacular traditions can be reinterpreted to form contemporary buildings. It encourages young designers to look within India for models of sustainable design rather than importing international designs which may or may not be relevant to the Indian context.
- Illustrated Case Studies showing use of vernacular traditions to create contemporary buildings.
- Expands the concept of sustainability to include physical, socio-economic and cultural contexts.
- Highlights the inherent sustainability in the vernacular built form.
Architects to create more sympathetic and distinctive architecture
Table of Contents
• Understanding “sustainable built environment”
• Understanding green spaces? • Vernacular architecture: share cultural heritage
• Traditional architecture is sustainable architecture
• Learning from the past: vernacular traditions in contemporary architecture
• Essays by practicing architects: Revathi and Vasanth Kamath, Anupama Kundoo, Laurie Baker Institute, Stephane Paumier, Chitra Vishwanath, Vinod Gupta
• How can we make our houses sustainable…simple principles…dos and don’ts
You may also like...
- Nutraceuticals in Human Health: let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food Regular Price 299.00 Special Price 270.00
- Green Homes and Workplaces Regular Price 299.00 Special Price 270.00
- GRIHA Version 2019: The Sustainable Habitat Handbook (6 Volume Set) Regular Price 11100.00 Special Price 9990.00
- Improving Earthquake and Cyclone Resistance of Structures: guidelines for the Indian subcontinent Regular Price 995.00 Special Price 896.00