OCEANS: the new frontier
Oceans – The New Frontier explores how human community insistently pushes the oceans’ limits, seeking to exploit all of their varied resources – minerals, fisheries, fuels and genetic material. The ocean frontier is constantly being redefined by new discoveries, technologies, national strategies, and ecological imperatives. Increasing dependence of humanity on the resources of the oceans has blurred the boundaries between the mainland and oceans.
As humanity’s footprint extends, oceans are seeing intense conflicts between actors and issues. The book questions the ability of global governance to regulate access to resources and services provided by the oceans so as to protect the ocean ecosystems. The chapters show how the global governance system has not been adequately responsive while in many cases local initiatives have contributed the solutions. Special sites, like sea-ports, can provide levers for action.
Oceans – The New Frontier is part of a series of annual publications on sustainable development (A Planet for Life) prepared under the scientific leadership of leading figures in the field of sustainable development.
• Associate editors: Raphaël Jozan (AFD), Julien Rochette (IDDRI) and Sanjivi Sundar (TERI)
• Papers by leading international experts and scholars
• New perspectives from across the planet
• Multiple maps, charts, timelines and thematic focus essays
• A wealth of ideas for specialists and non-specialists alike (policy makers, administrators, concerned citizens, development professionals, entrepreneurs, journalists, students and others)
You may also like...
- Hydro-politics in GBM Basin : The Case of Bangladesh-India Water Relations Regular Price 595.00 Special Price 535.00
- Capabilities and Governance of Nanotechnology in the Developing World: Insights from India Regular Price 500.00 Special Price 450.00
- Common property water resources: Dependence and Institutions in India's Villages Regular Price 850.00 Special Price 765.00
- Making every drop count Regular Price 75.00 Special Price 68.00