Wealth from Waste: trends and technologies(Third Edition)
Waste is often described as an unavoidable by-product of growth and development. With the rapid urbanization and industrialization there is a proportionate increase in the contaminated wastelands, water systems, and landfills. The natural waste minimization processes cannot cope with the quantum of waste generated and at times create additional problems, impacting the environment severely. The methanogenic process, for example, operating in most of our over spilling landfills contributes significantly to greenhouse gas emissions.
These issues thus necessitate an urgent need for waste valorization, rather focusing on mitigation through disposal. Converting the waste streams of industrial by-products into value added products will not only generate revenue but also bring in new feedstock options to industrial firms. More over with world’s energy supply currently dependent mainly on fossil based fuels, the waste streams through technological interventions can serve as a resource of energy in the future.
This edition of Wealth from Waste takes a closer look at the different avenues that consider waste as a resource for recycling and valorization rather than contemplating disposal. The book provides insight to the possible technological innovations and options that can be adopted, along with the current trends and opportunities that available worldwide for converting wastes into a value added resource. In the individual chapters, authors have discussed and reviewed the possible options for conversion of various waste streams generated from municipalities and other urban establishments, bio mass based wasted generated from argo-based industries and different industrial activities into an energy resource. The book also looks into the regulatory framework available in the country that is required at every stage of the life cycle of wastes for protection of the environment.
This edition is an important reference for a wide range of stakeholders, from policy-makers to environmentalists, development practitioners, academicians, waste management experts, researchers, students and corporate decision-makers.
• Wealth from waste: trends and technologies is an effort to put together the various options available to meet the waste management requirements.
• Articles included in this book aim to not only promote the concept and technologies, but also highlight the tremendous business potential that well-placed systems of waste management can offer.
• This book would also provide pointers to innovations and research directions, which could be undertaken in the future.
• Wealth from waste is a must-read for policy-makers in the developing countries, governments, environmentalists, development practitioners, researchers, waste-management experts, and decision-makers in corporate organizations.
Table of Contents
• Chapter 1: Biofuels
• Chapter 2: Bioethanol production from lignocellulosics: an overview
• Chapter 3: Bioethanol: a status review on metabolic pathway modification of certain ethanologenic bacteria through genetic engineering
• Chapter 4: Bioethanol production technologies: economics, environmental impact, and policy
• Chapter 5: Bio-hydrogen: applications and future prospects
• Chapter 6: Methanogenesis from agro-industrial residues: potential and prospects
• Chapter 7: Biomass- gasifier-based power plants: potential, problems and research needs for decentralized rural electrification
• Chapter 8: Industrial solid waste
• Chapter 9: Coal bed methane
• Chapter 10: Bioreactors for waste water treatment
• Chapter 11: Ceramic membrane filters from waste fly ash and their applications
• Chapter 12: Technological options for municipal solid waste management
• Chapter 13: Technological trends and opportunities in cogeneration
• Chapter 14: Environmental regulations in India for waste management
You may also like...
- Biogas: The Indian NGO experience Regular Price 195.00 Special Price 176.00
- Environmental threats, vulnerability, and adaptation: case studies from India Regular Price 400.00 Special Price 360.00
- Towards Cleaner Technologies: A process story in the Firozabad glass industry cluster Regular Price 200.00 Special Price 180.00
- Towards cleaner technologies: A Process story in Small-Scale Foundries Regular Price 200.00 Special Price 180.00